- This event has passed.
WBPA Monthly Meeting [7/18/19]
July 18, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 9:00 am
The July 2019 meeting for the WBPA will be held on Thursday, the 18th, in the main meeting room at the Walkersville Library. The meeting will be from 8am-9am. All current members are urged to attend; however, attendance is not required. All minutes from the meeting will be posted to the event page after the event is complete, for any non-attending member.
Members present/introductions (12): Alan Rugh, Bob Sussman, David Hawkins, Mary Blevins, Robin Bowers, Yvonne Reeder, Barbara Garst, Erin Miser, Angela Martin, Dale Clabaugh Lori Himes, and Consie Meyers.
Barbara Garst will be featured as the August “Member of the Month”. Discussed that she will receive questions from 3 categories (Business/ Personal/ Random) each will have (7) questions. She is to pick 9 of her choosing to answer. He will post this to “My Local Business” group in our behalf.
- Members selected for the biweekly feature profile are Angela Martin and Mary Blevins
- Member of Month for September will be David Hawkins
- Treasurer report given by Yvonne Reader:
- Approximately (14) members paid by June 30, 2019.
- Estimated that 85% paid using the square app
- If members pay by directly by check to please let Alan know so he will take you off Square reminders.
Alan Rugh spoke on the following topics:
- Discussion of using funds for events and marketing pamphlets. He would like us to come up with a list of ideas
- Commissioners ultimately controls what businesses come in and out of Walkersville
- Economic Impact Discussion
- Dale Clabaugh visited the “Spring View” sub-division to invite them to our meetings. She stated (12) lots are currently sold. The demo model that is currently built is the smallest model they will offer, base price of $450. The impact of these homes being built will raise home prices. Dale mentioned that the inventory on available homes is low
- Bob Sussman stated the exchange for loosing farms the flip side is the “Economic factors” are good for Walkersville
- Discussion of new sub-divisions beside Rock Creek School- residents were concerned with the impact on their homes. The back side of this sub-division is not opening immediately.
- Trend will be more retiring down-sizing adults wanting to move into a small town
- Rutters Impact- Traffic and Infrastructure is getting worse and will increase in September when school begins again
- Dale expressed concern with road intersection Antietam Drive and 194, the two egress lanes. Specifically south bound- is the light going to go to a four way signal pattern- when all (3) schools start it will be a mess- This will be a state request.
- Lori suggested looking at a state map to see a forecast of scheduled changes, also pointed out that a comprehensive plan for Walkersville is posted in town hall, Frederick’s available on-line for review.
- Discussion of how commissioners ultimately controls what businesses come in and out of Walkersville. We now have “Hate Groups” for businesses in the Walkersville area. One relatively small coming from the Sun Meadow complex.
- Dale pointed out that the best relationships we can refer by name & reach out resembles reaching out to show that the community becomes a small town in a growing environment
- Discussion of code enforcement for quality control – neat and clean
- Events- Amy not available to speak about Business to Business gathering Woodsboro Tavern idea for each of us to bring 5 recruits, evening event, will get back on this after conferring with Amy
- WBPA Picnic will be held at the end of the year- Oct 2019 at David Hawkins property.
- “Best of the Best” Nominations are now being taken. (200) categories, 1st vote nomination, 2nd vote in September where winners are chosen. Anyone wanting Alan to post something up on social media should contact him. Suggested using “Burner Emails” 24 hour use, keeps spam away if you want to vote for your business as option. Not to use with wrong intent.
- New Businesses mentioned:
- J’s Bargain Appliances – Appliance Store that bought old Ace Hardware
- Noonies/ Pizza
- Huff Daddy BBQ (Old Woodsboro Tavern)
- Tour of Frederick- August 9th, 10th, and 11th
- Sponsorship $1000.00. (hold on this to focus on publishing materials that will grow us as a group)
- Benefits Boys and Girls Club & Rotary
- Several biking opportunities between Frederick and Gettysburg and surrounding areas available and increments
- Alan will create a excel spreadsheet in our group so everyone can add business names to come up with comprehensive business list for Walkersville. Also check with Town Hall to see if they have a current list. Please add anyone that you do not see listed. We could also send them an invite meetings.
- “Event Posting” on website – not being used much at moment. Robin stated that “Trunk or Treat”, Thursday October 31, 20-19 will be held again and would encourage full participation. Also, prize donations are requested.
- Discussion in changing meeting times for next year- will revisit at later date and hold 8:00 am meeting for now.
Respectfully submitted: Mary Blevins, Acting Secretary